Friday 8 May 2009

I baked you a cupcake










I had today off work so decided to try my hand at the Hummingbird red velvet cupcake recipe!

I had to buy some ingredients I'd never used before, buttermilk, and added vinegar to a sweet thing for the first time ever in my life but they worked out really well and having sampled a newly frosted one I can say they really are scrummy! I'm pleased they turned out so red as I only had one bottle of scarlet food colour (serves me right for not reading the recipe carefully before going shopping) but I added some pink colur and they came out very red!

I know usually red velvets are naked cupcakes but I couldn't resist a few sprinkles!

I heart my Hummingbird Bakery cookbook :)

8 comments:

Manny said...

They look great and I'm sure they'll taste lovely - I cant wait to come home and try one (or two)!!

I'm well proud of you sweetie xxxx

I heart cupcakes said...

thanks hon - i've only eaten one so far x

Sue said...

Do you deliver? ; )

I heart cupcakes said...

Hiya Sue - thanks for your comment! If you were near here I'd gladly drop off a few when I bake -if not me and the hubby and his band just get rounder ;)

MJ said...

I tried this recipe right on the day that I got the book and I’ve stopped buying redvelvet cupcake since then. Absolutely love it!!!

Kara said...

Oh they look super scrummy I need them, they look real moist too.
My Hummingbird Book was ordered 3 weeks ago and now they have just emailed to say it might not make it to me till June :-(

I heart cupcakes said...

Kara - where did you order it from? I think I did well ordering it well in advance of it going on sale! Did I tell you they had it in my local Waitrose discounted? You could try there!
I know they keep having to reprint as its so popular! You can find the recipes for a few of their cakes online as they did a media blitz - try the daily mail website and search cupcakes -they had the recipes in a few weeks ago - as did some magazines! I could copy and send them to you from Easy Living if you like!

Manny said...

I can safely say they tasted every bit as good as they looked - totally delicious! I can't wait until the next batch :)