Sunday 25 October 2009

The cupcake revival


Quite an interesting article from the BBC re cupcakes - I'm particularly interested in the idea of cupcakes gentrifying an area

... cupcakes are a clear cultural barometer. Academics in New York are constructing a map of emerging cupcake shops throughout the city. The theory is that these give a more accurate guide to gentrification than traditional demographic and housing surveys.

If you look at the areas where cupcake cafes have sprung up in London I would agree this is certainly the case. They tend to be in the more exclusive areas, for example from the Kings Road area you can easily walk to 4 cupcake cafes. You'd have to be wearing some pretty sturdy walking shoes to walk to my local cupcake cafe - not many cupcakeries in the New Cross/Peckham area!

I also agree that the cupcake phenomenon has a lot to do with nostalgia. For Christmas I want one of these - something I remember using when baking with my mum/gran/aunt...

We're returning to things we've done in childhood, activities like baking, which gave us joy. It could be about the legacy of heritage. People are trying to hang on to a recipe that was sacred, that granny used to make."

Whatever gets people back into baking can only be a good thing surely so bring on the cupcake love :)

The picture is of last years Halloween cupcakes from Lolas (yes we tried a few different Halloween cupcakes)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooh so if I supply cupcakes to local cafes I'll be doing my bit to make it a nicer area. Lovely!

I heart cupcakes said...

That's a plan - round here I'm not sure if they'd have much use for cupcakes in Morley's "chicken" shop. I keep thinking of doing a stall but with work I dont get enough time to bake at the mo

Manny said...

I can't see a cupcakerie opening in New Cross anytime soon! Maybe if you called it "The Lord's Bakery" and made them with crucifix sprinkles they'd sell round here??

Kats said...

I love that pink mixing bowl, I think I will be asking for it for Christmas too!

I heart cupcakes said...

@Manny - maybe near the Holy Ghost zone, or by the Ministry of Fire? Actually I do think the Goldsmiths students would go for them if only there was a decent cafe in New Cross to provide them!

@Kats - its cute isn't it. They have them in John Lewis also- very sturdy and perfect for baking - just like me ;)

Kats said...

I don't suppose you know where to get one of the pink or red hearts mixing bowls now? They seem to be out of stock everywhere!

I heart cupcakes said...

Hi Kats - I'm not sure but will have a look for you today and get back to you.

Kats said...

I just found one from a store on Ebay (there's only 4 left). I can't wait to make a cake in it, looks great, thanks for the heads up!