Sunday 26 June 2011

Welcome to my nightmare


I was asked by the infamous curator of cake and chaos, Miss Cakehead, to make some blood splattered cupcakes as part of a 'disturbing’ edible experience at the Alice Cooper Freak Show auditions at Hyde Park this Monday 27th June. Yes that's right, cake for metal legend ALICE COOPER!!


The cakes themselves were pretty much a given - what else could they be but (blood) red velvets? I added a little extra red colouring and a little extra vanilla to combat any taste this may add. 

The blood proved a little trickier. I first opted to make the cherry 'blood' as featured in A Zombie Ate my Cupcake, but alas it was more like clotted blood and a very odd grey colour so put my thinking cap on and came up with my own blood - raspberry coulis, thickened with a little icing sugar and a bit of red food colouring in it to ensure we got the right colour. Fabulous.


The raspberry coulis blood really added a nice tartness to the red velvets and I really enjoyed it. I'm not usually that much of a fan of cream cheese frosting (ie I can't eat more than one) but the tartness of the raspberries again helped with that, and I would happily include raspberries in these again. Have been thinking of reasons for bloody cupcakes - Mortician cupcakes anyone? 

Finally, just wanted to share the centrepiece of the Silent Hill themed exhibition with you all. The nurse cake was made by Laura from Mamma Jamma Cakes and is 100% edible (except for a centre rod to keep her upright - take that Duff!) 

Copyright Mamma Jamma Cakes 
Isn't it awesome!

You can read more about the event here.

10 comments:

Helen said...

Wow they look brilliant, bet they tasted gorgeous too. Scary cupcakes are for life, not just for Halloween! Wonder what Dexter would make of your blood splatters... (hope you watch Dexter or you won't know what I'm on about)

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

These look perfect cupcakes for such an occasion! You must have been really delighted with them. And as for the nurse centrepiece? She would definitely strike horror and fear into any unsuspecting patient!

Mel said...

I tried some red velvets the other day and thought I'd be really clever and do a layer of blue and then red, but the combo of blue food colouring and cocoa powder made it grey like a face mask - not v.attractive. Would have been suited for your event. These look very tasty though and a good job on the frosting.

Manny said...

You make the best red velvets I've ever tasted and that raspberry coulis went really well with the frosting, I reckon that could catch on!

That centrepiece does look awesome. I cant wait to see a pic of Alice Cooper next to your cakes - what an honour, I'm so proud of you xxxx

Denise said...

Love the cupcakes and the Nurse centrepiece...Laura is very talented. Like the fact that it is all edible unlike Ace of Cakes. I remember when they made a motoebike "cake" and the only bit that was a bit of cake for the seat...everything else was plastic, wood etc

Kim said...

Wow, they look awesome! Great idea for the blood. I've got that Zombie Ate My Cupcake book but haven't tried anything from there yet. It creeps me out every time I look through it, some of it is really realistic!

Baking Addict said...

Your cupcake looks gruesome... in a good way! The raspberry coulis was a genius idea. The nurse cake definitely looks freaky.

Cupcake Crazy Gem said...

Wow that red is so vibrant! and the raspberry coulis sounds yummy!

Archies Mum said...

Wow to think that Alice Cooper will be eating one of your cupcakes. That should definitely be an added bonus were your business is concerned, you must remember to mention that. Those cupcakes look amazing, but I must admit that they look like they could be out of a CSI episode (where's Grissom when you need him - only joking).

Danielle said...

Hahaha amazing! I bloody love Alice Cooper - so so cool!

Now I want a cupcake...

x

http://fandabbydozie.blogspot.com/