Thursday 5 May 2011

Cinnamon Churro Cupcakes for Cinco de Mayo


Today is Cinco de Mayo, a day of celebration for Mexicans worldwide and I decided to celebrate with a churro cupcake.

Instead of just making a cupcake and shoving a churro on top, I decided to try and recreate the flavour of a churro in cupcake form.


I used my favourite vanilla recipe and substituted the usual caster sugar with a the cinnamon sugar I picked up in Waitrose. I also added some more fairtrade cinnamon to taste as I wanted it to be quite cinnamon'y.


I then topped them with some sugar frosting, inspired by something I read in my Who you Calling Cupcake book. Basically normal frosting with some sugar folded into it. I opted to use the cinnamon sugar again and it was actually quite nice but incredibly sweet.

Now as you know churros are only good when you dunk them into a load of chocolate (or if you're lucky and in Wahaca a tequilla chocolate shot - yum), so I drizzled them with some lovely Green and Blacks melted chocolate and behold..churro cupcakes.


So how were they? One word sums them up - sweet!! Two words is even better - too sweet. Manny really enjoyed the cake part, and it was nice and moist, but a little too sweet for me. Also while the sugar gave the frosting a good crunchy effect of biting into a churro, it was also a little too sweet, although this was offset by the bitterness of dark chocolate. Not a cupcake I'd make again, but it was worth an experiment and great if you have a sweet tooth - Manny ate two!  Next time I'll stick to a Mexican hot chocolate cupcake!

Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

They look awesome!

Jean said...

They look scrumptious.
Definitely worth another try, using the cinamon sugar is a great idea.

Manny said...

I must say I did really like these. The cake was lovely and moist and while the frosting was very sweet the chocolate offset it nicely. Maybe you could make these again and use some of that fiery chilli chocolate we get at Borough?

Archies Mum said...

They look absolutely gorgeous. I'm not really sure what a churro is but your cakes look very moreish.

Cupcake Crazy Gem said...

Sorry these didn't turn out the way you would've liked, I LOVE Churros! and have had a cupcake recipe bookmarked for them forever, I really need to get around to making it soon! That cinammon sugar from Waitrose looked lovely, and your cupcakes were perfectly frosted - and with that drizzle of chocolate they looked amazing!