Sunday 13 March 2011

Brownie pops with a twist


On Thursday a lovely package of goodies arrived at work from Frank PR as part of their campaign for Hellman's Mayonnaise. I had been due to go along to a tasting on Tuesday night but as it was my first day back at work for a week I was there till nearly 7 so couldn't make it so this was sent so I could try out their recipe for posh brownies.

Now I do like a brownie, and I'm quite partial to a bit of mayo on a sandwich, but together? Sacre bleu. Or blurgh I was thinking.


How wrong I was. The recipe was a doddle to follow and I only changed a couple of things. I used my own vanilla extract as I just don't use essence ever, and I omitted the walnuts as I had plans for these little brownies!


The brownie was incredibly moist, rich and very chocolaty. No hint of mayo at all. When I mixed the mayo into the mixture pre-baking it just looked and smelt wrong so I was glad it baked away. I can 100% say that these brownies were a revelation to me and are now probably  my go to brownie recipe. Also I'm chuffed to have been introduced to Waitrose chocolate for baking. I must admit to being a bit of a baking snob and only usually using Green & Blacks but that can get very expensive, although I do tend to buy it when it's on offer!

So rather than just stick to scoffing some incredibly delicious, but lets face it rather boring looking brownies, I decided to get all Westwood on them and pimp them slightly. But without the fake ghetto accent.


Not particularly original but I decided to pop my brownies! I basically mooshed up the brownie mixture and rolled it with a teeny bit of melted chocolate (I did buy some *gasp* Betty Crocker frosting to mix into it but I just couldn't do it!) and then dunked them in some melted chocolate.


There were a few pop casualties on the way but the ones that survived were pretty and tasted rather lovely.  The ones that didn't make it were quickly thrown into the leftover melted chocolate and given to Manny for lunch as a chocolate fondue type of thing - just as well he's off to the gym tomorrow night!


You can find the recipe for Hellman's Mayonnaise brownies here, and a video (with the crying one off "celeb" Masterchef so I've not watched it - it may have put me off making the brownies) showing you how to make them here.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum! Good idea to make the brownies into brownie pops. I really enjoyed this recipe too.

Baking Addict said...

Wow this looks great. I'll have to give it a try. Love what you did with the brownie pops. Brilliant!

Katie said...

I can imagine this would work well. I've used mayonnaise in a chocolate cake before to great sucess. I love your brownie pops.

Manny said...

I didn't think the tray full of brownie looked boring at all, I'd have happily wolfed the lot :) Your brownie pops rule though, so cute looking and of course, incredibly tasty! Who'd have thought mayonnaise could help make a delicious chocolate brownie? I'm just looking forward to you making the next batch :)

I heart cupcakes said...

@Kelly - loved your idea of putting Reeses in them. I have a tonne of them and plan to make some cupcakes with them!

@Baking Addict - thanks! The pops were delicious. Next time I'll spend more time doing them as this was all a bit last minute!

@Katie - I've never done it before. Have used veg and things but wasn't sure about mayo and was pleasantly surprised. Thanks :)

@Manny - oh thanks honey. I know you'd eat them for breakfast, dinner and tea! I shall be making them again trying to make them prettier!

The Caked Crusader said...

I've seen that recipe featured on some Hellman's ads and wondered whether it would work. I'd like to try it without knowing it had mayo so I could judge objectively

Your brownie pops are mega cute!

Archies Mum said...

I've seen a recipe for this somewhere else and thought mayonnaise in a cake!!!! ugh but your recommendation has made me fancy having a go. Your brownies look gorgeous and love what you did with them.

Heather Taylor said...

Where do you work to receive such a great basket of goods from? Those brownies look beyond fantastic!

Sarah, Maison Cupcake said...

Well you know what, Helen from Fuss Free Flavours and I were at that Hellman's event and god knows what they did to those brownies but they were like SAWDUST they were so dry. Absolutely awful. What a relief to hear that they were nice and moist when you made them. Another friend who was there has redone them with the addition of 2 bananas which she reported worked well.