Saturday 21 January 2012

Kicking off 2012 with a healthy(ish) cupcake..and some not so healthy

When I first saw that Lola's were introducing four healthier cupcakes this month made with all natural fruit I was slightly dubious as we've not done well with previous healthier cupcakes. Yes Petit Pois I'm looking at you and your crapcakes from hell.


However I found myself in Selfridges last week and thought I'd give them a try. And I'm glad I did. I opted for the passion fruit and it was incredibly nice. Really soft sponge with a passion fruit custard and topped with really tasty frosting. 

As well as passion fruit they have raspberry, blueberry and banana. I think they're only available till the end of January so be quick if you want to try them!


Also scoffed recently was this lovely cupcake from Lily Vanilli's new(ish) cafe just off Columbia Road. We visited on a Wednesday night before Christmas, but usually the cafe is only open on Sundays -it's worth travelling for. 

My gingerbread cupcake was fabulous - with a brandy buttercream frosting. I had a LV cupcake from Harrod's over a year ago and was not impressed, really dry and flavourless but this was totally removed from that - very fresh and bursting with flavour. In the background you can see perhaps the best sausage roll I've ever eaten - well I can't really say eaten - the tubby one whose sausage roll it was didn't share - I had a bite, but it was a good bite. Then again, can anything that comes surrounded in a duvet of lardon filled puff pastry be bad? I think not. 



As well as a sausage roll, Manny managed to scoff a brownie - and it was a slab of a brownie. Again I got a bite - melt in the mouth delicious. I would definitely go back just for the brownie. And maybe a sausage roll. And a cupcake. This is why I'm fat. 


The cafe looks pretty cool too - covered in a zombie style mural at the back to go with the theme of Lily's book. 

Also eaten recently, although not a cupcake I HAD to include this amazing Guinness cake I had from Bea's of Bloomsbury's Kings Road branch last week. I had popped to Jane Asher to stock up on edible glitter amid rumours that it's due to be taken from our shelves soon due to stupid people not understanding that you need to use EDIBLE glitter on cakes not just any random glitter (I call that Darwin's law - weeding out the stupid people) and needed coffee and a sit down and Bea's isn't too far away. 


The Guinness cake was very moist and the frosting was divine. Just sitting in the cafe was enough to tempt you to buy lots of cake - there was so much on offer, including cupcakes.

I enjoyed it so much I actually made this very cake from Bea's book last Saturday as a welcome home for Manny after he'd been to Germany to play a gig. The cake itself came out really well, but I followed the recipe for the frosting and it was a gloopy mess - it didn't seem to have enough icing sugar listed in the recipe. Luckily, I managed to save it and really liked the inclusion of golden syrup in the frosting although it meant it was very sweet. And I must learn, stop licking the syrup spoon, I was on a sugar high for hours. 


Sorry the pictures crap - it was about midnight when I finished making it - I find it hard to sleep when Manny's away. 

Finally, my final cupcake ever from Love Bakery. Just before Christmas I received a DM on Twitter from the lovely Rebecca to ask me had I heard that Love Bakery was closing down - I hadn't heard but checked out Sam's blog and discovered they were closing the very next day, 23rd December. Obviously I had to go one last time.



Sorry about the festiveness of the pics, I was meant to blog this ages ago. I've been a bit lax at blogging lately due to some issues with photo theft etc but aim to blog more in 2012.

Anyways, the cakes were really good, especially my rhubarb cheesecake one, and Love Bakery will definitely be missed from the London cupcake scene.

So there you go - I've eaten a few cupcakes lately and not a crap cake amongst them - a good end to 2011/beginning to 2012! 

7 comments:

Helen @ Fuss Free Flavours said...

How bloody stupid are people to confuse edible and normal glitter?

Several Mums I know use it for potty training as it goes straight through you, and toddlers love the idea of glittery poo in the potty. Sorry TMI.

Baking Addict said...

I'll have to get to Lola's before the end of Jan then! I got a box of Lily Vanilli's at the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed them. I saw the brownies and other cakes on display but will have to go back another time. I have yet to try Bea's - next on my list. Your guinness cake looks lovely :)

Unknown said...

All look delicious! And thank you for your lovely comments about us. I really miss my bakery and all my lovely customers and the endless gossip! I also heard about glitter-gate and what a load of nonsense. x

Archies Mum said...

Those cupcakes you've had look really tasty mmm yes please. Can't believe that there are people out there that thought you just add any type of glitter to your cakes, as Baldrick would say stupidy stupidy stupidy!!!

The Caked Crusader said...

Any sausage roll that looks like it needs 2 hands to lift it is ok with me!

Your cake looks lovely. But why the guilt about the syrup spoon? I always seem to "accidentally" squirt out an extra spoonful after measuring out my ingredients...and then just have to eat it!

Bronya@ Daisy Cakes said...

I love your dedication to cake testing!!

http://daisycakecompany.wordpress.com

Manny said...

Nice to see the pics from Lily Vanilli's cafe, that was definately the nicest sausage roll I've ever had and the brownie was one of the best, and I've eaten a LOT of brownies!

It was so lovely of you to make me that cake, I thought it was absolutely delicious. Such a great welcome home gift :)